The Vestry of Christ Church Detroit is pleased to announce that the Rev. Emily Williams Guffey has accepted the call to be our next rector. She will begin her ministry with us on October 28.
Christ Church is approaching its 175th anniversary as a vibrant, diverse, and welcoming congregation with a strong emphasis on worship and outreach. And, yes, we are located within the City of Detroit. You may not be aware of Detroit’s remarkable resurgence in the last few years — that the downtown is alive and well with new buildings, investment, businesses, and restaurants, and that, most exciting for us, our urban church neighborhood is experiencing unprecedented housing construction and an influx of new residents. This is a once-in-a-lifetime chance for us to grow our community. Perhaps these opportunities will capture your spirit and imagination, too.
In our next rector, we are looking for:
- a compassionate priest who is theologically alive and grounded in prayer;
- an energizing worship leader whose preaching connects with our lives and challenges us;
- an insightful and available pastor who appreciates the gifts and needs of our elder members, while also growing our younger membership base;
- a creative, community-minded leader to help us increase our presence within the neighborhood and city;
- an empowering leader, who can assist us in working together in ministry, with special attention to ministries that welcome and engage new members;
- an approachable, good-humored teacher, who walks with us on our faith journey.
If our celebration of Christ through worship and outreach, as well as our challenge to grow, excite you as they do us, we invite you to explore our website and learn more about us through our profile. If you are interested and might feel called to be our next rector, please send your cover letter, resume, OTM Portfolio, and sample sermons to Canon Jim Gettel at firstname.lastname@example.org or Episcopal Diocese of Michigan, 4800 Woodward Avenue, Detroit, MI 48201.
Thank you for your interest in Christ Church Detroit.